Manhattan Research’s Taking the Pulse® Europe 2012 study shows an increase in use of physician-only social networks by EU physicians and a strong interest in interacting with pharma on these platforms
May 10, 2012, New York, NY – In 2012, 22 percent of European physicians used physician-only social networks*, up from 13 percent adoption in 2011. According to the new Taking the Pulse® Europe 2012 study from healthcare market research and advisory firm Manhattan Research, more than 4 in 5 physicians who use or are interested in using these networks are open to interacting with pharma on physician-only social networks. The types of features and services physicians are interested in seeing on these platforms include access to pharma websites (43 percent), reaching a sales rep via email (42 percent), and watching self-guided online promotional programs (42 percent). The study was fielded online among 1,218 practicing physicians in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom in Q4 2012.
Additionally, the study shows that adoption of physician-only social networks varies by country, with local networks playing the lead role in most markets, as opposed to international networks. For example, the physician-only social network with the largest market share among users of these types of networks is Doctors.net.uk in the UK (98 percent), Coliquio in Germany (97 percent), and Egora in France (90 percent).
Physician-only social network adoption in 2012 across countries:
• All EU: 22 percent
• United Kingdom: 48 percent
• Germany: 26 percent
• France: 17 percent
• Spain: 17 percent
• Italy: 7 percent
“Adoption of physician-only social networks is accelerating in Europe,” said Principal Analyst Christina Anthogalidis. “This growing use together with physicians’ strong interest in interacting with pharma on physician-only social networks, points at emerging opportunities for pharma marketers.”
*The term “physician-only online social networks” refers to online communities or social networks created specifically for physicians. In the European countries surveyed in Taking the Pulse® Europe 2012 examples for these networks are: Egora in France, Coliquio in Germany, Esanum.it in Italy or Esanum.es in Spain, and Doctors.net.uk in the United Kingdom.
Taking the Pulse® Europe 2012 Webinar
Principal Analyst Christina Anthogalidis presents this recorded webinar with additional findings from the study for those interested in learning more about Taking the Pulse® Europe. Visit www.manhattanresearch.com/News-and-Events/Events/taking-the-pulse-europe-webinar to access the webinar or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Taking the Pulse® Europe 2012
Taking the Pulse® Europe is Manhattan Research’s annual market research study and syndicated advisory service focused on how physicians in France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom use the Internet, digital media, mobile devices and other technologies for professional purposes, pharma communication and patient interaction. The data can be segmented across a variety of target specialist audiences, including PCPs, pediatricians, cardiologists, oncologists, gastroenterologists and OB/GYNs.
Key topics covered in the research include:
• Device ownership for professional purposes and general access
• Online and offline channel mix across key medical resources
• Influence of professional online resources on clinical and prescribing decisions
• Professional activities in different work scenarios and across digital devices
• Adoption of medical mobile apps/websites and number of pharma apps in regular use
• Types of online video watched for professional purposes
• Communication with colleagues, including professional use of social media
• Attending medical congresses in-person vs. using live or virtual online formats
• Pharma sales rep interactions - including meetings with iPad reps, and online promotion
• Interest in different types of pharma product information and services online
• Interaction with patients, including remote patient monitoring
For more information, please visit www.manhattanresearch.com/ttpeu.